Thursday, July 15, 2010

It continues...

Hi to all,

Success, i have collected my first interview, and it proves to be quite an interesting story. However, because of the very nature of this project, the anonymity of the participant is my priority. But this proves to be exciting news as I now have tangible, code-able legitimate research material. Good.

Also, watch this space, because this project may get a mention on Gscene (a Brighton Gay Magazine) and Brighton Rag (an alternative gay magazine in brighton) which will be cool, hopefully this will attract some more interested participants.

Speaking of which, I feel the need to clarify the fact that I don't see the people who wish to take part in this study as mere 'participants', it is necessary, for me at least to recognise the fact these are people, with real lives and with real stories to tell! I am genuinely interested in seeing how gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender etc... people, who have grown up and developed in family which have representations of counter-heteronormativity in their family structure, understand their sexuality, or more importantly, how they grew to understand their sexuality. As child from a relatively conventional upbringing (in the sense that everyone was/considers themselves to be straight, bearing mind that my family are equally as dysfunctional in a plethora of other ways) it is interesting to consider that for some, there was never a 'coming out story' with regards to their family. Or to argue the opposite, there was even more pressure to stay hidden/straight/'normal, because of the fear the family would have for their offspring, the knowledge that life would be that little bit harder for them, and the added fear of (ignorant) people blaming them for their child's (sp? I don't know whether homosexuality is a noun, which can be owned, please enlighten me) homosexuality.

I fear this is turning into an unguided ramble, I shall keep you posted, all three of you, and let you know how this research is progessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment